Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The "Ki" to it all

By Stanton, Sabumnim

I'll go out on a limb and say that there are plenty of martial artists that don't really think too much about ki. For whatever the reason, it's just not a primary concern.

Aikido, Aiki-jujutsu, Hapkido...they all have ki included in their name. Karate and Taekwondo are famous for their "ki-ai" and "ki-hap" yells. Yet there remain practitioners of each of these arts that don't take the time to learn about ki.

I strive to practice the martial arts for the mental, physical, and spiritual benefits. I exercise my body and sharpen my techniques. I read and learn more about martial arts history. I listen with an open mind to other martial artists as they speak about their own style. Many times I just sit quietly and practice breathing techniques to calm my mind.

It's all training. The important thing is that no matter what type of practice I'm doing, I must remember the ki to it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment